People often ask me who are my heroes or which leader i admire or take most inspiration from.It is a wonderful question as it helps me validate my own philosophy,my own value system that I am a learning being , student of life & leadership.
Before , I get into name of my HEROES , my super-being; I prefer to get into why i look up to them.Following are few leadership traits that i truly admire.
1) Comfortable in their own skin and are confident with their own decision – I love someone with his or her unique style vs someone trying to copy someone’s else style.I am simply excited or amazed by authentic behavior of leaders.Their Audio is completely inline with their video.
2) Great leaders are great simplifier – We have plethora of complexity around us.It seems people love to complexify simple things.I just dont get it.I like someone who can cut through argument,debate & doubt ,to offer a perspective or solution everyone can understand.
3) Tough mind Yet humble. Someone who can take a tough stand while being humble.
4) Unconventional thinker – Some one who is willing to go against the grain.They dont worry about pleasing others.
5) Stable in the middle of crisis – Great leaders dont waste energy on things they cant control.They understand that there is no value in complaining about bad traffic, lost luggage, or especially about other people, as they recognize that all of these factors are generally beyond their control.They recognize that the fact that they can their response and attitude, and they use these attributes well to remain stable in the middle of crisis.
6) Great leaders dont feel that World owes them anything – Indeed they think how can i make impactful contribution to people & our planet.
7) Demonstrate Accountability & Responsibility – They dont shy away from tough decisions & shift blames on others if things go wrong.
8) Great Listener & great learner – Someone rightly said that the one who learn the most are the one who speak the least.Great learners are often great listener.