Recently ,I had a very interesting conversation at Airport while I was waiting for a flight from Delhi, India to Bangalore,India. I consider myself as a student of Life & have been working on my inner self for over 1 year to take my inner leadership to next level.I frequently practice what i called “Comfort zone Challenge”. One of the interesting exercise i am doing now a days is to strike a conversation with stranger.
I looked around at waiting lounge & struck a conversation with a gentleman who is around 60 + yr & recently got retired.Leaving aside introduction and casual conversation , i asked him what is ONE peace of advise he would like to give to his Son or Grandson.He has fairly successful & busy career and never got a enough time to participate in the growth of his son but strongly committed to do meaningful contribute to his Grandson’s growth .He mentioned that he is writing a letter to his grandson & shared some of the content that struck me deeply.
1) Grandson – I want to communicate to you at adult level since you and I may not face-face conversation when you get into adulthood.It is one of my sharpest regrets that I will take to the grave with me that I couldn’t spend enough time with your dad in shaping his life and personality.I wish I was more loving & caring.Please do not do that to your kids , to your wife and to your loved ones.
2) I have spent more time thinking about future than living in the moments.Enjoy “Now” experience. Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
3) Life is about making difference.I was always worried about making my own mark, making enough money, worrying about myself.Now, I am old & my days are numbered, I realized how much time & effort that i wasted on things that REALLY do not matter to me now.I wish you connect with your inner self think about making a positive dent to universe and leave a legacy that you can be proud during your last hour of your last day.
4) Focus focus & focus on your health – I really didn’t realize how much my diet and taking good care of my health mattered until I was given “to-stop” list.Even if i have all the money in the world , i can only do limited travel & cant eat food that i loved..
5) Be an up-lifter & motivator of people – In the end ,its all about relationship.
6) Authenticity vs Plasticity – I have lived life according to rule book of society.Live your own life & based on your value system.Be yourself , dress the way you want & do the things thats important to you and make you happy.
7) You are built to be great. Express your Genius & live your purpose.I dont know what would be your purpose but if you have an early desire to know “Your one thing” , you would get it sooner.I now realize that i wasnt meant for corporate world , my heart was somewhere else.
8)Take as many risk as possible. Today I think more about Risk I didn’t take , dream i didn’t pursue.
9) I have postpone my travel ,my life. Travel as much as you can & create as many life experiences as possible.They would help you stay happy during your old age.
10) Live life with ZERO resentment. If you have someone you need to forgive, forgive that person. Life is too short to carry resentments.I stopped speaking to my best friend way back in college & that is one of my biggest resentment.
Please honor my memory by becoming an honorable man yourself. I love you, my Grandson, and I hope to meet you again in God’s glorious kingdom.
This is all I can recap & I would put few more points as i remember & journal.It has been one of the most insightful & emotional conversation i have had with a stranger.
I hope its been valuable and meaningful to you..
With deep respect & Gratitude
Few Important Quotes
a) “The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.
b) “You were given life; it is your duty (and also your entitlement as a human being) to find something beautiful within life, no matter how slight.”