I have been travelling from the last few days.What I love about my travelling is different perspectives that I get as I get to travel different places,Airports,observe different people , i get WHOLE new perspective about life & about few SELECT things that are going ADD value to my life.
As i was about to catch a flight from Hong Kong to Los Angeles, an interesting line caught my Attention =“Theory of Minimalism”
I have been thinking about it & thought how would “Theory of Minimalism” apply to our life when general human tendency is to accumulate,build our physical possessions,
Upgrade to bigger car,house etc.
I am becoming truly passionate in picking up an interesting idea, thinking about it while running & meditating & then journaling it .I have been slowly directing my thinking
to FEW fundamentals-Can having or doing “More” going to make me happy? or Can having or doing “More” will have positive impact on humanity or on mother Earth?
Some one rightly said that “Better self awareness creates more happiness around you” , I started to put things in perspective with respect to my own life & some of my
observations about few other lives.
Few Observations through my own actions & through others
1) Subscribed to many post,many articles but rarely read them.I do it very often.
2) Get greedy about articles,books,audio programs but rarely end up using them.I really become greedy when i see interesting titled books
3) Carry more Clothes,buy more clothes during discount season, more books than one can generally consume.I end up carrying more books,more clothes during my travel vs
4) One of my colleague feels pride that he has subscription of over 100,000 books through Questia & books 24X7 and carries ipod that can store thousands of songs.I
wonder if one can read 100,000 books during one’s life time.It would ONLY add STRESS of not being able to read many books.
5) Eating too much than required , being over weight ,having too many accessories on our body.
6) Working hard /or connected to technology 24X7 to have better & bigger house car
7) Subscription to too many things that are freely available or available at discounted rate.
8) Operating in 24X7 business model
9) Too many emails,notifications ,meeting,back-back meetings etc..
10) Too many time draining distractions-email,twitter,multiple phones that makes us feel that we are busy.But are we really busy?
11) Talking over phone when we should be driving ,having engaged conversation or having family dinners.Too much accessibility.
12) Too many NEWS channel or NEWS.We end up spending best hours of our best days in listening mindless NEWS.Some where i read , people watch on an average 6 weeks of
TV in a year.Imagine effect of data that is entering in our head resulting in draining of our creativity , Productivity.
13) Trying to do all things to everyone is actually amounting to “none to everybody”…
if we closely observe above,many of the above are not leading us anywhere.We are busy being busy.
Interesting Quote — “Live life, don’t just watch it and spend in accumulating material possessions”.
What gets me thinking is that We spend the first part of our life accumulating stuff and the second part trying to get rid of it. What’s the point if we dont have time
to experience them.If you closely observe “Accumulation creates STRESS”.Over last 6 weeks , i have personally observed Couple of my friends who are trying to relocate
were seriously stressed about how to get rid of as many things as possible.
Couple of scientific observations…
a) Many psychological studies have confirmed that buying life experiences rather than material possessions leads to greater happiness
b) A 2008 study by University of British Columbia and Harvard Business School concluded: “Regardless of how much income each person made, those who spent money on others reported greater happiness, while those who spent more on themselves did not.”2008 financial crises has shown how badly most of the folks wanted to get rid of their mortgaged home/Car etc
What is value of practicing “EGO” material accumulations that will not yield desired happiness?
Over the next few days , I truly want to Practice & Learn Minimalism with following below philosophy..
Interesting Quote – Minimalism is not about giving up the things you love. It is about losing the things you will never miss.
- Will it matter in my deathbed literature? If you had 24 hours to live, you wouldn’t choose to spend it alone in your Ferrari or convertible BMW. You’d focus on those closest to you, and tell them what they mean to you.
- Whats the over head of having additional material possession – Storage Cost , Value , Cost of repairing , trouble in discarding the,?
- With due respect , Money ,at its core, is only tool.Do i really need to over stress , operate in 24X7 business model.Any business model that is creating stress to humanity is not a sustainable business model.
- Quality possession vs Quality Possession
- Be picky in your conversation.Observe the one that creates stress..
- Anything that is not adding value to my life NEEDS to find place where it can add value.
Interesting Quotes – “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.” – Angela Schwindt
76% of households live paycheck-to-paycheck and credit card debt continues to grow. No doubt, these statistics have a lot to teach us…
With “more, more, more” everywhere , its pleasant to see sages of East or Buddhist monk.What is your opinion? Would you prefer to practice “Minimalism”?
Many Thanks for reading and all the feedback that you all have been giving me.