Some of my lovely relatives graduating kids and few friends younger brother have been asking me about Career advice. I really find very challenging to advice anyone on Career when I don’t know enough about them. It’s an interesting time as approx 132 million students would be graduating ( China -19% , US -14% , India -11%) across the globe in coming months of 2014.Note # I am not able to trace the source of statistics however I do remember reading it in one of the leading business Magazine.
I don’t know if I would do same things that I am penning down as I feel that it is painful truth that one never does 100% of what one advises however I have learnt few valuable lessons in life that if I had applied when I was 22,my life would be on different trajectory,
I will pen down some of my own life’s lessons that I would have loved to execute #IfIWere22 .
1) Realize that what you do now, who you spend your time with, and what you study now ALL contribute to who you become. Study what you are passionate about because it can become a career that feeds your mind and your soul and GIVE you life’s greatest Fulfillment.
2) I would find what I love to do & do that as much of that as possible. I would have let my passion lead my career choice. Instead of taking established career PATH , I would have evaluated career based on my PASSION.
3) Do unknown & embrace uncertainty. Make key decision based on your inner guide/or compass & not based on what the world around you would think..
4) Life is Product of your decisions & not your conditions, and that your ability to make good decisions are ruled by your own thinking and believes about yourself and the world.Make right choices thinking “Long Term =5 or 10 years” vs instant satisfaction.
5) You shouldn’t worry about money beyond point. At least not pick up Job based on “How much?”.
6) Make Longer term Life and Career Plan. Think about 5 years, 10 year & 20 year life Plan. Visualize your death bed statement.We always overestimate how much we can achieve in 1 year & underestimate how much we can achieve in 5 or 10 years from now.
7) Shatter your Ego.Meet all kinds of people in as many places as possible.
8) Get out of comparison disease. Better to compete with one self vs competing with others that will not help you with your longer term vision & mission.
9) Write a Journal & Take time to reflect . It is hard to see where you are going if you don’t stop and take the long view every once and a while. Get comfortable with being alone. It is a sign of knowing and loving yourself. Journaling or blogging is a great way to do this
10) Don’t worry about not doing “Cool stuff” or not looking “cool”.It Just doesnt serve you.
11) Stay longer with your Goal. Remember Anders Ericsson–the father of “The 10,000 Hour Rule” that to become genius or operate at Genius level , you have to stay & Practice long enough with your Goal..
12) Learn from Challenges , Pain & disappointment. They are great teacher & can become your great story.
13) Dream 10X more & start now as “You will never be ready ”.I have postponed many things in life because I THOUGHT I was not ready.
14) Practice Happiness.World needs more happy leaders than smart /or sharp leaders.
15) Its either “YES” or “NO”. “May be “ has created lot of stress in my Head -:)
16) Be BOLD & make BOLD decisions. #IfIWere22
Hope you had fun reading some of my learning.
THANK you so very much for reading & hopefully I have been of service to you..
With lot Happiness & love